Custom front panels

CAN Calibration Protocol (CCP)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    J1939 Discussion Forum Index » CAN and CANopen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilfried

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: CAN Calibration Protocol (CCP) Reply with quote

According to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE): "While the CAN Calibration Protocol or CCP is a reasonably well known standard in Europe that continues to gain acceptance, its exposure in the American automotive electronics arena has to some extent been limited to the engine calibration area. A closer examination of the protocol reveals that the CCP is not just for calibration. With many general-purpose features including flash programming capability, the CAN Calibration Protocol is useful for a wide range of module development activities. CCP users have access to online measurement data and the ability to calibrate modules. This allows software development to occur not only in a lab environment but also during an in-vehicle test.

Even though U. S. companies using or evaluating the CAN Calibration Protocol include DaimlerChrysler, Ford, General Motors Corporation, Delphi, Motorola, TRW, Visteon, and several others, many product development engineers are unaware of this potentially reusable software." (Source: https://shop.sae.org/technical/papers/2000-01-0389)

This statement is followed by SAE's intention "to help raise the level of awareness for this 'new to the U.S.' technology" by selling a white paper on CCP, Introduction to Can Calibration Protocol by Kim Lemon of Vector Cantech Inc. As it is usual under SAE marketing policies the document comes with a price tag. US$14 may not sound much for a technical document, but (my apologies to the SAE and especially Kim Lemon) you can buy whole books for $14 and the document in question (rather a marketing tool than a technical paper) does not live up to justify the price.

The CAN Calibration Protocol was designed by ASAP (Arbeitskreis zur Standardisierung von Applikationssystemen = Standardization of Application/Calibration Systems task force) in 1999. I have been forwarded the ASAP CCP Standard by a friendly reader of my column at TheCANManCan.com and the document does not include any copyright message. Thus I feel free to publish it here on my web site.

Please feel free to download the "CAN Calibration Protocol Version 2.1" at http://www.copperhillmedia.com/cannewsletter/PDF/ccp21.pdf

If you suspect an infringement of copyrights or trademarks in any part of the information on this web site, please contact me immediately by responding to this entry and I will make the appropriate adjustments.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    J1939 Discussion Forum Index » CAN and CANopen All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: